I really liked the first season of ‘The Fall’ because it seemed different from other crime dramas. I thought Gillian Andersons character was fantastic. Sexy, yet utterly brilliant. Jamie Dornan gave a good performance as a serial killer trying to live a normal life. It was enjoyable (though not very terrifying for me). M was scared witless by the first series – but I’m not surprised.
I was really looking forward to the second season. We got to see it a little early in Ireland (absolutely shocking, I know). So I’ve waited until the UK caught up before fully expressing an opinion to friends. Well, I did say I didn’t like it – but these are some of spoiler reasons why:
- How are they coming back to Belfast after only 10 days? I thought the last season ended with a nice “I’m done, I’m leaving, you’ll never catch me…muharharhar” when in fact he’d only taken his family on a little holiday to Scotland. Did I miss something?
- Does it seem like Gillian Anderson’s character, Stella, has taken a little too much Valium?
- When Mr Killer Himself is on his way back to Belfast on the train, and strikes up a conversation with the woman sitting with him. Who in their right mind just bats her eyelashes and smiles demurely at what is (quite frankly) a crazy psycho killer?? “Do you think I’m him?…[draws beard on e-fit]…does it look more like me? See? Do you live alone?” What woman in her right mind is not going to think “Uh oh, nutter” and get away as quickly as possible?
- In the first season a lot of planning went into the murders. But in this season he seems to turn up in houses at will. Did he do a breaking and entering course while on holiday? Also he was very careful in the first season and now all but admitting it’s him to his ex-babysitter?
- Finally when he broke into the house at the end. “Who are you?” says the little girl…really? REALLY? Not going to run to her mum screaming? Just becomes best friends instantly?
These are all questions I asked myself while watching it. It breaks the illusion for me. I just don’t think it’s as good as the first season.